What are First Aid and CPR?
First Aid is a basic health course that teaches you how to help people in an emergency situation. The first and easiest First Aid course will always teach a bit about CPR as well.
CPR stands for “cardiopulmonary resuscitation” and it is a mix of different ways to help someone breathe or help their heart beat.
There are two types of First Aid/CPR classes:
- Workplace classes: for people who have to know CPR to work at their job
- Community classes: for people who are interested in knowing it for everyday life
First Aid and CPR Certificates can be very useful when looking for employment. You will get a certificate if you complete required classes.
Where do I find classes?
You can also ask your school or local community centre if they have any classes planned in the near future. This can save you some time and money.
A few things to know:
- First Aid/CPR classes cost $30 to $150. Ask the course provider for details.
- Classes may be 8-14 hours in total.
- Once you get a certificate, it will only be valid for 3 years.